The MIEMSS EMSC, SOCALR and Educational Support Programs continue to work on the following objectives related to Ambulance Safety:
- Increase public safety professionals’ use of seat belt in Fire, EMS, and Rescue vehicles. (BUCKLE UP – Every Ride Every Time) Poster available.
- Public education of "Buckle Up" during the focused NHTSA Enforcement weeks in November and May (BUCKLE UP – Seat Belts Save Lives) to support the Click or Ticket national and statewide campaign.
- EMS, Fire and Rescue companies promoting Seat Belt Use in the local community with BUCKLE UP MARYLAND – Day & Night . . . It's the Law banners and occupant protection information at open houses. Poster and Banner available.
- Correct use of all 5 stretcher straps with larger children and adults patients on stretchers and weight appropriate child restraint devices on stretchers for children and infants.
- All family members being correctly restrained with a lap – shoulder safety belt n the patient care compartment or in the front passenger seat.
- Equipment is secured to prevent or minimize injury to anyone in a moving EMS Vehicle. (SECURE) Poster available.
- Provide continuing education workshop on correct use of patient safety belts in both public safety and interfacility transport ambulances. Contact the EMSC program office at PEPP@miemss.org to request materials or workshop.
- Develop educational materials & web resources on the correct use of patient safety belts for different sized patients of all ages for both seated and stretcher positions within ambulances.